This manual provides a full reference description of the Mimer SQL language. It is a complement to the Mimer SQL User's Manual and to the Mimer SQL Programmer's Manual.
The manual is intended for all users of Mimer SQL in both interactive and embedded contexts.
Related Mimer SQL Publications
- Mimer SQL Programmer's Manual contains a description of how Mimer SQL can be embedded within application programs, written in conventional programming languages.
- Mimer SQL User's Manual contains a description of the BSQL facilities. A user-oriented guide to the SQL statements is also included, which may provide help for less experienced users in formulating statements correctly (particularly the SELECT statement, which can be quite complex).
- Mimer SQL System Management Handbook describes system administration functions, including export/import, backup/restore, databank shadowing and the statistics functionality. The information in this manual is used primarily by the system administrator, and is not required by application program developers. The SQL statements which are part of the System Management API are described in the Mimer SQL Reference Manual.
- Mimer SQL platform-specific documents containing platform-specific information. A set of one or more documents is provided, where required, for each platform on which Mimer SQL is supplied.
- Mimer SQL Release Notes contain general and platform-specific information relating to the Mimer SQL release for which they are supplied.
Suggestions for Further Reading
We can recommend to users of Mimer SQL the many works of C. J. Date. His insight into the potential and limitations of SQL, coupled with his pedagogical talents, makes his books invaluable sources of study material in the field of SQL theory and usage.
In particular, we can mention the following publication:
A Guide to the SQL Standard (Fourth Edition, 1997). ISBN: 0-201-96426-0. This work contains much constructive criticism and discussion of the SQL standard, including SQL99.
For JDBC Users
JDBC information can be found on the internet at the following web addresses: http://java.sun.com/products/jdbc/ and http://www.mimer.com/jdbc/.
For information on specific JDBC methods, please see the online documentation for the java.sql package. This documentation is normally included in the Java development environment.
JDBC API Tutorial and Reference, 2nd edition. ISBN: 0-201-43328-1. A useful book published by JavaSoft.
For ODBC Users
Microsoft ODBC 3.0 Programmer's Reference and SDK Guide for Microsoft Windows and Windows NT. ISBN: 1-57231-516-4.
This manual contains information about the Microsoft Open Database Connectivity (ODBC) interface, including a complete API reference.
Official documentation of the accepted SQL standards may be found in:
ISO/IEC 9075:1999(E) Information technology - Database languages - SQL. This document contains the standard referred to as SQL99.
ISO/IEC 9075:1992(E) Information technology - Database languages - SQL. This document contains the standard referred to as SQL92.
ISO/IEC 9075-4:1996(E) Database Language SQL - Part 4: Persistent Stored Modules (SQL/PSM). This document contains the standard which specifies the syntax and semantics of a database language for managing and using persistent database language routines.
CAE specification, Data Management: Structured Query Language (SQL), Version 2. X/Open document number: C449. ISBN: 1-85912-151-9. This document contains the X/Open-95 SQL specification.
Acronyms, Terms and Trademarks
IEC International Electrotechnical Commission ISO International Standards Organization NIST National Institute of Standards and Technology SQL Structured Query Language X/Open X/Open is a trademark of the X/Open Company BSQL The Mimer facility for using SQL interactively or by running a command file
All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
Upright Database Technology AB
Voice: +46 18 780 92 00
Fax: +46 18 780 92 40