Mimer SQL is an advanced database management system developed by Upright Database Technology AB. This manual describes how to establish, manage and maintain a Mimer SQL database.
The information contained in this handbook generally applies to all the platforms supported by Mimer SQL.
From time to time platform-specific notes appear in the general description, presented as follows:
There are also some appendices at the end of this handbook which contain information that applies to specific platforms.
This manual is a general handbook for system administrators, describing in detail the various areas of responsibility and procedures to use when administering a Mimer SQL database system.
There are no prerequisites for users of this manual. However, it is advisable for the reader to be familiar with, and have a working knowledge of, the host computer operating system.
Organization of this Manual
- The Database Environment describes the components of a Mimer SQL database system, particularly those relevant to the responsibilities of the system administrator.
- Establishing a Mimer SQL Database describes how the system administrator establishes a Mimer SQL database.
- Managing a Database Server covers the subject of managing a Mimer SQL database server including: a description of various factors and parameters which might affect server performance.
- Backup and Restore describes how the BACKUP and RESTORE functionality provides facilities for taking backups of the database and for restoring data in the event of a system crash.
- Databank Check Functionality describes how the Databank Check (DBC) functionality is provided to check the physical integrity of databanks.
- DBOPEN Functionality describes how the DBOPEN functionality opens all the databanks in the database. This facility can be used after a databank has not been closed properly (e.g. because of a system failure). If this is not done, the implicit databank check performed when a user first opens the databank can cause a delay (the actual length of the delay depends on how much data is stored in the databank).
- Shadowing Functionality describes how the SHADOWING functionality allows simultaneously updated copies of databanks to be created and maintained. These give extra data protection and provide automatic fail-over in the event of loss or damage to the original databank.
- READLOG Functionality describes how the READLOG functionality reads the contents of the LOGDB databank, which can provide an audit trail or other relevant information in the event of a system failure.
- Database Statistics describes how the STATISTICS functionality maintains statistical information in the data dictionary concerning the usage of tables and indexes. This information is used by the Mimer SQL compiler in optimizing access paths for data manipulation statements.
- Export/Import describes how the EXPORT/IMPORT functionality permits base tables to be transferred between different databases.
The manual also contains the following appendices:
- Executing in Single-user Mode describes matters relevant when accessing a database in single user mode.
- The SQLHOSTS File on VMS and Unix describes the contents and use of the SQLHOSTS file used on UNIX and VMS.
- The MULTIDEFS File on VMS and Unix describes the contents and use of the MULTIDEFS file used on UNIX and VMS.
- UNIX Specifics describes UNIX specific issues regarding Mimer SQL.
- Data Dictionary Tables describes the data dictionary tables.
Acronyms, Terms and Trademarks
API Application Programming Interface. BSQL Facility for using SQL interactively or by running a command file. Data source ODBC term for a database. Databank A Mimer SQL database consists of the Mimer SQL system databanks and a number of user databanks. Each databank is a single physical file in the host file system. Database home directory The directory where the system databank file containing the data dictionary and some other files that form part of the database are located. DCL Digital Command Language. Embedded SQL The term used for SQL statements when they are embedded in a traditional host programming language. JDBC Database connectivity for Java. MULTIDEFS A file, on UNIX and VMS, containing parameters for controlling the database server for a Mimer SQL database. ODBC Microsoft's Open Database Connectivity, a specification for a database API in the C language, independent of any specific DBMS or operating system. PSM Persistent Stored Modules (i.e. Stored Procedures). Shadow A Mimer SQL databank may have one or more shadows. A shadow is a copy of the original (master) databank and is continuously updated by Mimer SQL. SQL Structured Query Language. SQLHOSTS A file, on UNIX and VMS, containing lookup information for all Mimer SQL databases accessible from the current node. UNIX UNIX is a trademark registered by the X/Open Company. VMS VMS is a trademark registered by Compaq. Windows Windows is a trademark registered by Microsoft.
All other trademarks are the property of their respective holders.
Related Mimer SQL Publications
- Mimer SQL Reference Manual
- Mimer SQL User's Manual
Contains a description of the BSQL facilities. A user-oriented guide to the SQL statements is also included, which may provide help for less experienced users in formulating statements correctly (particularly the SELECT statement, which can be quite complex).
- Mimer SQL Programmer's Manual
- Mimer SQL platform-specific documents
- Mimer SQL Release Notes
Upright Database Technology AB
Voice: +46 18 780 92 00
Fax: +46 18 780 92 40