Mimer SQL Mobile and JDBC
Upright Database Technology supplies two types of JDBC drivers: the Mimer SQL Mobile JDBC driver and the Mimer SQL Engine JDBC driver.
The Mobile JDBC driver uses less memory resources than the Engine driver. The code size itself has also been reduced by removing features unlikely to be required on a mobile platform, such as a handheld device.
The Mobile JDBC driver is distributed under the name minjdbc1.jar.
The primary use of the Mobile JDBC driver is to connect to a Mimer SQL Mobile server which cannot change its schema once deployed. However, it should be noted that it is still possible to connect to a Mimer SQL Engine server using the Mobile driver.
Supported JDBC Versions
The Mobile JDBC driver supports JDBC version 1.
Differences Between Drivers
The differences between the Mimer SQL Engine and Mimer SQL Mobile JDBC drivers are:
- The Mimer SQL PSM debugger cannot be used with Mobile JDBC driver.
- The DataBaseMetaData object is not available. This means a mobile application cannot query the database for the database schema.
- Native SQL expansions are not available.
- The Mobile JDBC driver cannot identify itself using the command: javacom.mimer.jdbc.Driver
- The default fetch size for the Engine JDBC driver is a transfer buffer of about 64 kb. The actual number of rows depends on row size. In the Mobile JDBC driver the same default fetch size is 10 kb. This buffer size can be manipulated using the .setFetchSize method call.
Note: Sun has a working group to establish a JDBC subset for J2ME (CLDC configurations) to be published in November 2002. Future versions of the Mobile JDBC driver will implement that specification.
JDBC Sample Program
Upright Database Technology AB
Voice: +46 18 780 92 00
Fax: +46 18 780 92 40