Installing Mimer SQL Mobile
To install Mimer SQL Mobile:
- Download the latest development version of Mimer SQL Mobile from
- Run the exe file, for example MimerMobileNt2000Xp911b.exe, to start the wizard which will guide you through the installation process.
- When the wizard asks you to select the components to install, ensure that you select the Pocket PC support files option as this component contains all the support for Mimer SQL Mobile.
If you also want to install the emulation environment, select the Pocket PC Emulation option.Tip: To get a quick start with Mimer SQL Mobile, select the Development and Sample Files option. This will enable you to automatically create an example environment containing database objects such as idents, tables, views, triggers, stored procedures and precompiled statements plus data that you can export to your device.
- When the wizard notifies you that it is finished, select the Run the Mimer Administrator now option and click Finish.
- The wizard completes the installation on your workstation and asks you to confirm that you want to install Mimer SQL Mobile on your device:
Click Yes, the wizard installs Mimer SQL Mobile on your device and displays the Mimer Administrator.
Creating a Database
Once you have installed Mimer SQL Mobile, you are ready to create the database you will export to and use on your device.
To create a database:
- If not already started, start the Mimer Administrator, located in the Mimer SQL Mobile program group.
- Select the Local tab, click Add to create a database. The Local Database Definition dialog box opens.
- Enter the name of the database and the directory on your workstation in which you want to create the database. Click OK.
- The Mimer Administrator asks if you want to create system databanks. In the Create Systems dialog box, click Yes. Complete the system databanks wizard.
- Note: When asked for a SYSADM password, ensure that you have selected the Mimer SQL Mobile System Databank option.
- Note: Remember the SYSADM password! If you lose the SYSADM password, it cannot be retrieved from your Mimer SQL Mobile system.
- When the system databank creation is complete, the wizard asks you what you want to do next. Select the options to start the database server and create a development user and development environment, click Finish.
- The Example Environment Setup wizard starts. Select both available options and complete the wizard to create a development user and example environment.
You now have a Mimer SQL Mobile database server running on your workstation and, if you selected to create them a development user and an example environment.
About Precompiled Statements
The Mimer SQL Mobile database server that runs on your handheld device has a very small footprint. This is achieved by creating and storing precompiled statements that give you access to the data stored on your device.
For example, to store the statement: SELECT col1,col2 FROM tab, you would use the SQL command CREATE STATEMENT as follows:CREATE STATEMENT sel1 SELECT col1, col2 FROM tab
The statement, named sel1, is stored in the database. When your application needs to run, it executes the following statement:EXECUTE STATEMENT sel1
The same method is used for all types of data manipulation statements and calls to stored procedures.
Creating and Storing Precompiled Statements
The following are examples of precompiled SQL statements:CREATE STATEMENT ins1 INSERT INTO tab(col1, col2) VALUES('ABC', :col2_value) CREATE STATEMENT upd1 UPDATE tab SET col2=col2 + 10 WHERE col1 = :hw_col1 CREATE STATEMENT proc1 CALL proc('ABC', 10, 20)
The INSERT statement, ins1, inserts the string 'ABC' into col1. The second parameter is a parameter marker and is represented by a host variable in an application program.Tip: As size is of great consequence on any handheld device, you should minimize the size of the database by removing objects that are not needed.
Precompiled Statements in the Example Environment
In the example environment, if you chose to install it, there are a number of precompiled statements ready for use which you can review on your workstation.
To review them:
- Click Start, browse to your Mimer SQL Mobile program group and select Mimer Explorer.
- Login to the example environment. If you accepted the default settings when installing, the user name is: mimer_store, and the password is: GoodiesRUs. Mimer Explorer starts.
- To execute a precompiled statement, just click on it.
Upright Database Technology AB
Voice: +46 18 780 92 00
Fax: +46 18 780 92 40