|Mimer SQL on Windows 2008/Vista, x64 Edition
This Mimer SQL product is for the x64 (or AMD64) based Windows 200x, Windows XP, and Windows Vista platforms.
Mimer SQL for 64-bit Windows takes advantage of the additional address space available on the 64-bit editions of Windows. It is currently possible to cache up to 16GB of data in the database server. This allows the system to handle very large databases.
In addition the Mimer SQL database server can take advantage of a Windows feature called Large Page Memory region. This allows the operating system to map a contiguous part of physical memory into the address space of the server. The result is extremely efficient memory management.
While the server executes in a 64-bit address space it is possible to use both 32-bit and 64-bit applications. This means that applications may benefit from the larger address space even if they are themselves running 32-bit.
The Mimer SQL product is completely integrated into the Windows environment. Examples of features included:
- Easy and user-friendly installation. You will have your first database server running in minutes.
- A Windows service is created automatically when you create a database.
- Clients can connect to the database server using the Named Pipes network protocol and thereby using the Windows system security.
- Administrators can measure database usage seamlessly using the Windows Performance Monitor.
- Mimer SQL Engine makes use of the Windows Event Log for error logging.
- Mimer SQL Engine has support for distributed transaction handling together with Microsoft Distributed Transaction coordinator. This allows Mimer SQL access from COM+.
- A silent install option if you want to install Mimer SQL Engine for Windows as part of your product.
- When installing the product a special entry is made in the exceptions for the Windows Firewall. This makes it easy to open up the firewall for TCP traffic to the Mimer SQL database server.
- Standard Windows uninstall.
Mimer SQL Engine comes with a number of different client interfaces such as:
- A JDBC driver entirely written in Java. This enables you to use Mimer SQL in all Java environments, from browsers to enterprise servers. This also includes support for distributed transaction handling.
- Mimer SQL Engine comes with an ODBC 3.52 compliant driver. The Mimer ODBC implementation is a complete implementation that makes Mimer compatible with any ODBC compliant application.
- Mimer SQL Engine supports embedded SQL. A preprocessor is used to prepare the code for use with the Mimer SQL embedded client.
- A separately downloaded ADO.NET provider for Mimer SQL is available from the Mimer SQL developer site. The provider is used to develop applications in C#, VB.NET and other .NET languages. The provider is integrated with Visual Studio.
Mimer SQL Engine is platform independent, so you can use Mimer SQL clients to connect to a Mimer SQL database server on any platform.
This product runs on processors built on the Instruction Set Architecture (ISA) called x86-64, or AMD64.
Intel's implementation of AMD64 is called Intel 64, or formerly, EM64T.
The name x64 is a more vendor-neutral term used to collectively refer to the two nearly identical implementations.
AMD64 (x86-64) shall not be mixed up with the IA-64 architecture (Itanium), developed by Intel. Itanium is incompatible, and thus, this version of Mimer SQL does not work on Itanium.
For more information on the specific items covered in this article, see below:
For details on Microsoft Windows see www.microsoft.com/windows
See the articles Get Started with Mimer JDBC and Accessing Mimer SQL from ADO.NET using Mimer Data Provider for details on how to use Mimer SQL from two common database APIs.
Download Mimer SQL Engine for Windows 200x/XP/Vista x64 Edition and Mimer SQL Data Provider from our download page.
For further details, please see our other Howto and Feature articles. Or, contact Mimer SQL Support.
Last updated: 2008-10-27