In short, Mimer SQL on macOS is a high performance, zero maintenance database built on international SQL standards for mission critical applications.
Mimer SQL runs on Intel-based macOS platforms (there are old Mimer SQL versions for the PPC platform).
Some qualities of Mimer SQL are:
- Mimer SQL on macOS is installed within a few minutes.
These minutes takes us all the way from opening the installation file to having a database server up and running. See the article Installing Mimer SQL on macOS.
- Mimer SQL is one of the most scalable databases in the world.
The same kernel that is used in your laptop is also used in large production plants, for example, in the Automotive and Steel industry.
- Mimer SQL is No.1 in the world in conforming to SQL standards.
This is the guarantee for an open database solution. See the Mimer SQL standard compliance page.
- Mimer SQL has a database server with low binary footprint.
As a small footprint, but yet powerful, database server with a configurable runtime distribution size, Mimer SQL is ideal for environments with scarce resources and for use in embedded applications.
- Mimer SQL is the world leader in zero maintenance and ease-of-use.
Some of the built-in functionality in this area are automated on-line backup, and a self tuned kernel.
- Mimer SQL is a robust system that has been on the market for decades.
Opinions about Mimer SQL like “a black box database” and “an install and forget database” are customer’s expressions for stability with endurance.
- Mimer SQL is a cross platform product.
With availability on all major platforms, ranging from mobile appliances to enterprise systems, Mimer SQL databases can be used in all ends of a product line.
- Mimer SQL was the first database vendor to implement extensive Unicode support.
It has predefined multilingual support for more than 150 languages. See the Mimer SQL Multilingual Support page.
For detailed information on features in Mimer SQL, please see the Mimer SQL Overview.
Mimer SQL for macOS is free for test and development purposes, and we are flexible in offering you a Mimer SQL licensing model that will suit your product and business situation.
Mimer SQL shares the ease-of-use philosophy with Apple Inc., with a database server installed within a few minutes, and, when deployed, being self-tuned with no need for major administration. Mimer SQL has less than twenty configuration parameters based on algorithms that knows and learns the optimal settings for all situations.
In more than two decades Mimer SQL has proved its scalability and performance in thousands and thousands of different database solutions. The same stable database kernel supports desktop applications as well as large production facilities and banks. The entire functionality of Mimer SQL is available through out the whole range, from mobile to enterprise.
Mimer SQL provides full and optimized support for established and standardized interfaces, including ODBC and a wide range of JDBC drivers, which makes development easy with all the popular tools such as WebObjects, Jboss, Tomcat, DbVisualizer, Omnis, Runtime Revolution, 4D and many more.
Mimer Information Technology is a leader in conforming to DBMS standards and is an active participant in the international database standardization WG3 Group for SQL.
You can download Mimer SQL for macOS from the Mimer SQL Download Page.
Mimer SQL is installed in /Applications, where applications for database installation, database administration and database object management are provided to easily get started. These applications are:
- Mimer SQL Database Install
- Mimer SQL Database Admin
DbVisualizer is a powerful SQL tool bundled with Mimer SQL. Mimer SQL is fully integrated into the tool, meaning that all Mimer SQL database objects can be managed and viewed in detail.
Mimer SQL comes with a number of different client programming interfaces such as:
- A JDBC driver entirely written in Java. This enables you to use Mimer SQL in all Java environments, from browsers to enterprise servers. This also includes support for distributed transaction handling.
- Mimer SQL comes with an ODBC 3.52 compliant driver. The Mimer ODBC implementation is a complete implementation that makes Mimer compatible with any ODBC compliant application.
- Mimer SQL supports embedded SQL. A preprocessor is used to prepare the code for use with the Mimer SQL embedded client.
- Mimer SQL supports Module SQL. A preprocessor is used to prepare the SQL statements to be called by an external host application.
- Mimer SQL provides a native C database API, simply called MimerAPI, which is very effective and streamlined.
Start with the Mimer SQL Database Install application to create your initial database and then use the Mimer SQL Database Admin application to administer it. Use DbVisualizer to manage your database objects.
For details on how to use Mimer SQL with DbVisualizer, see the article Mimer SQL and DbVisualizer using JDBC on macOS which is an example on how to connect Mimer SQL to a database access tool using the JDBC database API.
In addition, take a look at the article Using Mimer SQL with iODBC on macOS to get a glance on how Mimer SQL fits with ODBC on the macOS platform and go on with Using Mimer SQL with Core Data on macOS.
From a Terminal window the complete Mimer SQL installation can be located at /opt. For easy access to items that are not reachable from the /Applications view, tools, libraries and man-pages are linked to /usr/bin, /usr/lib and /usr/share/man locations.
When a Mimer SQL database server is installed and should be used as a database server for remote client applications, the macOS built-in Firewall may have to be opened up for Mimer SQL. Please see the article Mimer SQL and the macOS built-in firewall for details on how to do this.
Don’t hesitate on giving us feedback or to state any question on this product.
Mimer SQL Documentation set, see the Programmer's Manual.
If you don’t have a copy of Mimer SQL, you can download a free developer version from Downloads »