Mimer is now releasing a complete reference design of the Mimer SQL database server for Android 8.1 Oreo. This includes the full feature, high performance Mimer SQL database server combined with full compatibility support for all kind of Android applications, including those downloaded from Google Play. Out of the box Mimer SQL handles the built in content providers for Calendar, Contacts, E-mail, Media and Telephony.
Mimer SQL for Android is a zero-maintenance database server with a high and predictable performance that makes it possible to avoid the common performance deteriorations commonly experienced in day to day tasks on the Android platform. The non-locking concurrency control in Mimer SQL that fully utilizes the modern multi core hardware architectures improves the performance and scalability even further.
Mimer SQL for Android brings a lot of added value for Android devices:
- Mimer SQL for Android is “plug and play” with no integration work and with no extra lead time related to new Google releases. Mimer SQL is integrated without affecting the current code and the Mimer DDS switch makes it possible to change between SQLite and Mimer SQL in run-time. This mean you can utilize one single ROM that can run both Mimer SQL and SQLite.
- With Mimer SQL integrated into the Android system you will get an enterprise class database management system where data easily and safely can be shared between different parts of the system. This enhanced architecture makes it easy to build system that is not possible to build with SQLite, for example AI systems.
- With Mimer SQL Android, devices will get better performance without any degradation so the experience of daily operations is always the same – when the device is new and after some month’s usage. As it is today degradation is a big problem with Android and all OEMs are suffering from this.
- With Mimer SQL the concurrency is handled very well due to true multi user and multi core support, which boost performance and save battery (using the cores more efficient).
- Mimer SQL will improve the battery capacity, a task can be executed on several cores.
- With Mimer SQL the device gets more memory efficient. Mimer SQL boosts the device – a low end HW with Mimer SQL will perform better in many cases compared to a high-end device with SQLite.
- With Mimer SQL Android, devices get an enterprise class level database in the device supporting real security.
The functionality of the Mimer SQL database server, including the Android database API compatibility, improves the performance in the content providers up to 3 times or even more on an Android device compared with using the multiple instances of the built-in SQLite database manager. And this without any changes to applications and the content providers provided by Google.
In addition to the Android database API, the full feature enterprise class database functionality in Mimer SQL is available for application developers using standard Java and C/C++ application programming interfaces.